Archives at Scout House - Victoria
Greater Victoria Area maintains a substantial archive of event badges, past uniforms, historical documents and resources for use in displays and attractions, as well as maintaining historically accurate records of our traditions. You can see many of our items on display at Scout House - Victoria.
Archives is always looking for donations to the Scout Museum at Scout House, however due to limited space, resources and time, it is hard if not impossible at this time to: a) put everything on display, b) keep things in a highly organized fashion or c) even to keep collections together. These goals would be the ideal, however we have thousands of badges, hundreds of books, photos and documents in cabinets and drawers, several campfire blankets and dozens of trophies, hats, uniforms and neckers etc. in our collection, with new items coming in weekly.
We have slowly tried to get things somewhat organized and on display over the last couple of years for people to see, (i.e. with a banner board, a necker board, 4 display cases some 20 badge boards and 17 uniformed manikins etc.), yet we still have hundreds and hundreds of items not on display. Please bear with us as we make progress to ensure all items are cared for properly and displayed to best showcase our Scouting history.
For more information, contact email@example.com
The Archive Museum at Scout House in Victoria at 505 Marigold Road, is continually trying to add Scouting memorabilia to its growing archive collection such as badges, books, uniforms, hats, neckers, trophies, banners, and Scout logo items such as knives, axes, pens, mugs, etc., and so any and all donated scouting items are welcome. We are particularly interested in badges from all areas and events on the Island, the mainland, BC and the rest of Canada.
(PS: for badge traders and collectors, we do have several extra duplicate badges, neckers and books with which to trade, however they are not really old or valuable. The badges are more local and PJ event type badges, however some of the books are older out of print ones).
Anyway, here is a "small list" of some of the badges missing in our collection, so if you could please check your hall meeting closets, cupboards and badge boxes to see if you have any extra, outdated or unwanted badges which are collecting dust and you really don't know what to do with and don't want to just throw them out, please consider donating them to a new home at the Scout Museum in Victoria.
SCOUT BADGES WANTED FOR SCOUT HOUSE ARCHIVE DISPLAY (updated March 23, 2011)
- Apple Day Badges (square with a boarder) for 1985, 1986, 1989, 2011, and pre 1983.
Apple Day Badges (shaped like an apple) for 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and pre 1993
Apple Day Badges (red, white and green rectangle, no boarder) for 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and pre 2000.
- Patch "Hike for Hunger Badges" - pre 1999.
Silk "Hike for Hunger Badges" - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and pre 2000.
- Trailsend Popcorn Badges - pre 1994-1995 and 2007.
- Jamboree of the Trail Badge (JOTT) - 2007 and pre 1998.
- Camp Barnard Badges - pre 1991.
- Cub Car Badges (Greater Victoria Region), - 1993, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2011 and pre 1992.
Plus Kub Kar Final Badges (Shaped like a wheel) - Pre 2007.
- Trees for Canada Badges (Triangle shape) for 1979 and pre 1976.
Scouttrees Badges (Various Shapes) 2006 and 2009.
- The Red and White Year Flash - 1972, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1998, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and pre 1971.
- The small different coloured Year Flash Badge that we get at registration that goes on our uniform sleeve 73-74, 02-03, 03-04 and pre 72-73.
- Earthday - pre 1992
- Camp Byng - 1971 - 1980, 1982 - 1993, 1995 - 1999, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2009 and pre 1969.
- Vancouver "Night Hike" Badges - 1995, 1998, 1999, 2005, 2008 and pre 1991 except 1986.
- Science World Camp-In Badges - 91/92, 92/93, 95/96, 2004/05, 2006/07, 2007/08 and pre 1990/1991.
- Jamboree Of The Airwaves (JOTA) - all except 2002.
- Hands Across The Boarder - all except 2005 and 2006.
- Provincial (PJ), Canadian (CJ), and World Jamboree (WJ) Badges
- Gilwell Reunion (Sooke BC) - pre 1987, and 1993 to 2008.
- BC - Yukon Gilwell (red with axe in log) - 1957, 58, 59, 60, 61, 64, 65, 66, 67, 69, 71 - 87, 90, 91, 93, 96, 97.
- Scout Animal Patrol Badges - Canada Goose, Crow, and Mallard Duck
- Activity Crests
- Type A (taller & narrower, almost a fleur de lis shape) - Snowshoeing, Hiking, Skiing, Lacrosse, Archery & Snowmobiler.
- Type B (these ones are more rectangular, but wider at the bottom than the top) - Snowshoeing, Hockey, Gun Handling, Swimming, Archery & Soccer.
- Type C (these are the older ones from the 70's that are plaque shaped and say Boy Scouts on them ) - Canoeing, Sailing, Hockey, Baseball, Fishing, Football, Music and Snowmobiling.
- Type D (these are also from the 70's and are plaque shaped but said Scouts Canada on them)
- Type E (these are smaller rectangular badges, i.e. taller than they are wide about 1 1/2 " by 2") - Baseball and Hockey.