Training for Scouters
GVA provides training to both youth and adult members, in order to improve their leadership skills, promote their self-development, and contribute to their enjoyment of Scouting activities.
We're trying to collect all Course Training Handouts on one page.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR TRAINING:
You can submit your registration online using the link in the left-side menu or fill out the Printable Training Registration Form and print it. You must then forward the completed form and any course fee to the Course Administrator through Scout House at 505 Marigold Ave. Victoria, BC, V8Z 4R5. You can leave your forms in the "Training" box on the counter when the building is open, fax them to (250) 727-2922 or just drop them in the outdoor black mailbox when the building is closed.
GVA COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
REGISTER EARLY FOR YOUR COURSES.
Courses can run only with an adequate number of participants ...
and your registration is the only way we know what the numbers are.
Wood Badge I - Sections:
Come and learn everything that you need to know about running those weekly meetings and more! Training is a fun way of learning ways and meeting other scouters such as yourselves wanting to find out more about the sections they volunteers in. Check out the Wood Badge I page for details about the upcoming course!
Wood Badge 1 - Group Committee:
Group Commissioners are required to complete their own training. Check out the Wood Badge 1 - Group Committee page for the local session plans and handouts.
Wood Badge II:
If you thought WBI was fun….come join the trainers and the other participants for 3 weekends of fun, laughter and memories while you earn your Gilwell! WBII is a Course which focus’s more on what you know rather than what the trainers teach. The WBII is a journey which when you are finished you are part of a world wide family called the Gilwell family which is recognized anywhere you go.
Outdoor Skills Training:
- Red Level Canoe Course
- What is a Red Level Canoe trip? It's a trip that is more than 3 nights away. You know, those trips that you've always wanted to do such as Strathcona, Bowron Lakes, the Broken Group, Kyuquot Sound, Desolation Sound, and many more. After all, we live on the beautiful West Coast!
- Check out the Care Red Canoe Training page for details!
- Tandem Lakewater Canoe Course for Leaders
- Introductory Basic Tandem Lake Water canoe course offered in our own Young’s Lake at Camp Barnard. Learn about your equipment and basic strokes to enable you to get to your destination efficiently and safely, and be able to confidently take your group out on Young’s Lake! This 10-hour course will be offered over a two-day period. You MUST be able to attend full-time both days, 9:30am – 3:30pm . Maximum 10 participants.
- Check out the Tandem Canoe Training page for details!
- Solo Canoe Course
- Advanced Solo Canoe course offered at Camp Barnard. Refine your technique and strokes to get the most out of you canoe! This 14-hour course will be offered over a two-day period, Saturday and Sunday. You MUST be able to attend full-time both days, 9:00am – 4:00pm . Maximum 8 participants. Pre-requisite: Successful completion of the Tandem Lakewater Canoe Course
- Check out the Solo Canoe Training page for details!
First Aid Training:
Standard First Aid is a necessary qualification for the Chief Scout's Award, and at least one Scouter must hold the qualification in any Section camping.
Check the First Aid Training Page for details about courses.
Cascadia Council's procedures for course administrators requires that all courses must submit Course Reporting Forms in order to be approved to operate. Additionally, all courses at Camp Barnard must ensure that they have booked the appropriate facilities through the Camp Registrar. Click on the links below to access the appropriate forms:
- Cascadia 60 Day Pre-Course Report (MS Word)
- Cascadia 30 Day Pre-Course Report (MS Word)
- Cascadia Post-Course Report (MS Word)
- Cascadia Trainer Evaluation Forms (MS Word)
- Cascadia Event Budget and FInancial Statement (MS Excel)
- Camp Barnard Registration Procedures