Scouts CARE Red Winter – Snow Camping
This course is offered to Scouters who wish to develop skills and experience in order to camp in deep snow conditions. It is geared mainly to enable Scouters in Scouts, Venturer Scouts, and Rover Scouts to develop the competency to expand their programs into the snow bound outdoors but is open to Scouters in all sections.
This course consists of three parts, all of which are mandatory;
- the GVA Cold Talk which covers clothing and sleeping systems.
- an evening at Scout House (Wednesday, January 4, 2012) on menu planning, environmental hazards, and equipment checks.
- a three (3) day, two (2) night weekend in the snow on Mount Washington adjacent to a concurrent Scout section camp. (Friday January 20 through Sunday January 22, 2012). During the weekend you will learn about establishing a comfortable camp site, building and living in snow shelters, winter dining, travelling in the snow, sanitation, ensuring youth and group safety, and incorporating the winter realm into your program.
The cost for this course is $85 per person (which may vary based on the price of fuel and food in January). Participants will be car pooling to and from Mount Washington.
In order to ensure that we set up enough seats, please register by December 5th by sending an email to Ross Benton (email@example.com) with the Subject Line: Scouts CARE Red Winter. Please include your contact information; your name, telephone number, email address, group name and section. You will receive a confirmation email acknowledging your registration.
Payment: Course Cost: $85, cheques payable to Scouts Canada.
Send forms and payment to:
- Scout House 505 Marigold, Victoria, BC V8Z 4R5
- or put them in the Training Drawer near the Scout Shop at Scout House
Closing date for registration is Tuesday December 6, 2011.
Please submit the following forms:
- GVA Training Application (if applicable)
- Scouts Canada Registration form (emergency information).